Monthly Child Support

Child support is paid on a monthly basis in New Jersey. The payment is made to the parent who retains custody of the child. The latter is regardless of whether the parents were married and later divorced or were never married but have a child in common and support is ordered after the breakdown of the relationship. The most common concern for the paying parent is whether or not they are paying too much in child support to the custodial parent. 

What Can Affect Child Support Payments

There are a variety of things that may significantly change your child support payments including:

  • Loss of employment
  • Salary increases
  • Additional children born to the paying parent
  • Retirement
  • Disability

Before You Stop Or Reduce Child Support Payments

While you may be experiencing some life changes or changes in circumstances that are negatively impacting you financially and whose burden may be eased by a reduction in child support, you cannot stop making child support payments without the court’s consent. You are legally obligated by an order from the court to pay the prescribed monthly amount due.  In order to reduce that amount and modify your payments, you will first go back to court.  In most cases, you will have an attorney that you can contact and who will then notify the court. If you take it upon yourself to stop making the monthly payment or reduce it, you may be facing contempt of court and that can include serving jail time. Your wages can also be garnished.  Loss of employment does not automatically absolve you of your obligation.

How To Modify  Your Child Support Order

An experienced child support attorney can assist you in the modification of your child support payments. You will be advised as to whether you qualify for a downward modification and proceed from there.  It will be important for you to gather important documents to prove that you can no longer maintain the current payment, i.e., medical records, bank statements, termination letters etc.

Get Help Today

Contact Carvajal Family law today to learn more about how we can help you with your downward modification needs.  Approaching a modification on your own can be confusing and complicated, an experienced attorney can advise you as to your rights and obligations under New Jersey law.

New Jersey Child Support