North Bergen, NJ Divorce Attorney
Uncontested Divorce: An Amicable, Cost-Effective Way to End Your Marriage
Contrary to popular belief, not every divorce is acrimonious and full of anger, hostility, and bitterness. There are instances in which both spouses are willing to cooperate and communicate with one another to resolve their issues. When couples in New Jersey choose to pursue an uncontested divorce, they avoid going through the traditional litigation process. If this sounds like a viable and attractive option, you need to consult a divorce attorney who is well-versed in uncontested divorces.
At the Law Offices of Lazaro Carvajal, we strive to help couples in New Jersey end their marriages in a quick, painless, and cost-effective manner.
What are the benefits of an uncontested divorce?
- Does not require a trial
- Gives you greater control over the process — you make decisions about your future, not a judge!
- Saves time and money — From start-to-finish, an uncontested divorce can be finalized in as little as 30-90 days at a fraction of the cost of
- Reduced conflict and stress for you and your children
Types of Uncontested Divorces in New Jersey
To qualify for an uncontested divorce, one of the following must be true:
- You and your spouse have already agreed on how to resolve all the issues in your divorce– such as division of property, alimony, child custody, and support.
- You and your spouse disagree on how to resolve some issues but are willing to seek compromise through negotiation or participation in alternative resolution methods like mediation, arbitration, or collaborative divorce.
- Your spouse ignores or does not respond to the divorce complaint.
Creating the Marital Settlement Agreement
Even though you and your spouse agree on how to end your marriage, it’s important to have a divorce attorney oversee the process. Mr. Carvajal can draft a Marital Settlement Agreement that precisely details all of the terms you and your spouse agreed on. In addition, he can assist with the preparation of the divorce complaint. The court will review the paperwork and schedule a court hearing. The hearing typically takes place 35 days after the initial paperwork is filed. At the hearing, a family law judge will make sure everything is in order and issue a final divorce decree.
Contact an Uncontested Divorce Attorney Today
To learn more about whether an uncontested divorce is right for you, call the Law Offices of Lazaro Carvajal 804-206-8534 for a free, no-obligation consultation. We proudly serve North Bergen, NJ and the rest of Hudson County, including Harrison, Hoboken, Jersey City, Kearny and West New York.